Re: Using 'procmail -m ...' (question)

2004-10-30 13:41:51
On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 12:55:46AM +0200, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Toen wij William Park kietelden, kwam er dit uit:

Ruud H.G. van Tol:
Dallman Ross:

How about something like:

         :0:
         * whatever
         spam

         # if we are still here, quit with error exist status
         EXITCODE = 1     HOST

That's the whole recipe.

What good does it to have 'HOST' there, where procmail
is already at the end of the recipe?

It's Procmail version of exit(EXITCODE).  When HOST is not the same as
your machine's name (short hostname), then it exits.

Maybe you didn't understand my question, but that could have been
because I repeated 'recipe' where I meant 'rc-file'.

From man procmailrc:
the program  will  terminate,  but  will  not generate an error
(i.e., to the mailer it will seem that the  mail  has  been
delivered).

This would be equivalent, I think:

  DEFAULT = /dev/null

  :0:
  * whatever
  spam

  EXITCODE = 1

Yes, certainly.  It's equivalent.  More than one way to skin a cat.  I
chose one way, that's all.  But anyway, I believe there is a tiny (as in
microscopic) savings exiting with an unset/reset HOST, since there is no
system "write" to /dev/null.

dman [ Virus Snaggers 2.2.1 released yesterday: http://vsnag.spamless.us/ ]