Re: procmail duplicates arriving message names (?)

2004-12-08 13:58:08
hallo Michelle,
thank you very much for your answer,
I'd be very grateful if you (or others) could explain me more... I've been working for days trying to solve some issues... and any light is wellcome:

I'm using procmail 3.22, directly compiled from its tgz, in the Solaris 9 machine. I am sorry i have some holes... MH means "Message Handler", a unix mail client? no, we don't use MH... we offer a pop service (port 110), and "imap just for our webmail client". Both pop & imap are served using courier-imap, with its server daemons for each service: pop3d and imapd.
why do you say "no" about being a normal setup?...
(You're right about the temp file name: the "_" char is not in the hostname ;) ... I tried to put just an example). I'm almost sure that courier-imap just "move" the files from ./new to ./cur ... I use courier-imap 3.0.8 sourceforge's distribution. Your comment about time has been a great insight!!! I think I saw in logs that my xntpd app is correcting the little-fast system clock (should I disable it?), but, then, are these names incorrect? should procmail use other ones? In every procmail's log file (in my case it's called "~/Maildir/from") arriving messages are registered with such names... some real examples for consecutive messages:
~/Maildir/new/msg.wDlPB
~/Maildir/new/msg.xDlPB
~/Maildir/new/msg.yDlPB
If the user don't leave messages in server, then the sequence can start in some previous point repeating previous names; in any other case, the sequence seems to be always incremental (Except in cases like my problematic one). Nevertheless you're right in that, for example, courier-imap uses the UnixTime*hostname* convention when moving or creating its own files (with imap for example). Sorry I didn't post this before: It's the ~/.procmailrc file each user have in its home:

# Please check if all the paths in PATH are reachable, remove the ones that
# are not.

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir   # You'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/new
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

# Anything that has not been delivered by now will go to $DEFAULT
# using LOCKFILE=$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT