procmail duplicates arriving message names (?)

2004-12-08 10:54:43
hi,

I've installed procmail 3.22 on a Solaris 9 + sendmail (MLocal) environment.
I use courier-imap for the (Maildir) pop and imap service.
There is always a ~/.procmailrc (quite plain: with just env vars,
without filters), and there are no ~/.forward or /etc/procmailrc.
Arriving messages are store correctly by procmail in ~/Maildir/new folders.
It uses a "msg.aMGFb" style for the message filename, where last five
letters seem to be incremental.
So far, it all runs smoothly and seems pretty normal (doesn't it?).
Nevertheless, I've seen cases (very few... and afaik not reproducible)
in which this message file has ended up with a duplicate name in the log
file (~/Maildir/from), which would lead to the impossibility to move the
message from ./new to ./cur folder, 'cause in fact, there was another
file (the previous one) with the same name there... I've lookded there, and I've found the message with a strange "temporal" name like :
"1083498*.M*._hostname*" (* means more chars there)...
I know (I think i know...) that the ./new to ./cur movement is not task
of procmail (actually courier-imap does it), but:
Why has procmail repeated the name for an incoming message?
Shouldn't it store the last used / available name somehow?
Does this has sense to anybody? Is there a known related bug?
The question is important, as we're having some other service problem/s,
and may be they're related to a bad procmail execution...

thanx you all for reading this.