Re: increasing performance by using single-quotes (was: removing whitespace between adjacent 'encoded-word's)

2004-12-18 22:05:26
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, 03:48 GMT+01 Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Toen wij Robert Allerstorfer kietelden, kwam er dit uit:

But my regex matches all the W3C approved character Encoding names
(charsets), as listed on  http://validator.w3.org/detailed.html

OK, but it is you (and w3c) against the bad guys.

right, so I will now use the extended regex, as you suggested.

Suggestion:   av_CHARSET = '([a-z][a-z0-9_-]+[a-z0-9])'
(single quotes, because no variables have to be expanded)

[...]

Using single quotes where possible will shave off some cpu-cycles, but I
wouldn't overuse them either.

good point of view. I recognize that I myself have indeed already
prefered the single-quotes style vs. double-quotes in cases where no
variable expansion is needed and will never be expected, such like
this code from the very top of my main run commands file:

 av_VERSION = '0.8.2'
 av_UA = "SoftlabsAV $av_VERSION"

This also brings me to the question if something like

 av_REMOVE_INFECTED = 'on'

should be prefered vs.

 av_REMOVE_INFECTED = on

in order to make the procmail code running as fast as possible.
I don't see any procmail documentation if not using quotes at all
equals to using double-quotes, but it seems to be the case, since
something like

 INCLUDERC = $av_INSTALLDIR/inc/av_v320.inc

has the same effect as

 INCLUDERC = "$av_INSTALLDIR/inc/av_v320.inc"

rob.