Re: increasing performance by using single-quotes

2004-12-19 08:28:22
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, 06:31 GMT+01 Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Toen wij Robert Allerstorfer kietelden, kwam er dit uit:

This also brings me to the question if something like
  av_REMOVE_INFECTED = 'on'
should be prefered vs.
  av_REMOVE_INFECTED = on
in order to make the procmail code running as fast as possible.

I don't see any procmail documentation if not using quotes at all
equals to using double-quotes, but it seems to be the case, since
something like
  INCLUDERC = $av_INSTALLDIR/inc/av_v320.inc
has the same effect as
  INCLUDERC = "$av_INSTALLDIR/inc/av_v320.inc"

Yes, good point. So let's not underuse the single quotes
either. Like VERBOSE = 'on', and MAXSC = '2147483647'.
That also communicates that with variables there is only
text (or nothing, when undefined).

I have now "cleaned up" my entire code to contain single-quotes
whenever possible. Maybe Nancy would add a note about the advantage of
single-quotes in her great FAQ?

I do prefer to overuse doublequotes, like in
  var1 = "$var2$var3"
where they are AFAIK also not necessary.

I agree. Let's remember the times when most perl coders did not care
about "use strict" (including me at my perl-first-time) and then, when
they came across the advantage of it, had to strictify all their code,
which consumed lots of time. Today, of course, everything I do with
perl is using strict.

The same applies to old-style HTML vs. XHTML. Today, I only use the
latter, and only in W3C valid form (when possible). I also now have
cleaned up my entire code to go for this kind of strictness. Should
procmail ever see a new release and a strict parsing should be added,
I am prepared :-)

rob.