Re: increasing performance by using single-quotes

2004-12-20 13:16:47
Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Suggestion:   av_CHARSET = '([a-z][a-z0-9_-]+[a-z0-9])'
(single quotes, because no variables have to be expanded)

just wanted to note that we have to be careful when using
single-quotes (in order to increase performance) even if no variables
have to be expanded. Namely, the backslash would be ignored as
escaping character and as line continuation symbol. In that cases,
single-quotes must not be used.

So we could summarise, using double-quotes is safe but may have a
performance disadvantage and using single-quotes is fast but may not
work as expected if we use it without care.

rob.