Re: increasing performance by using single-quotes

2004-12-18 22:41:50
Toen wij Robert Allerstorfer kietelden, kwam er dit uit:

This also brings me to the question if something like
  av_REMOVE_INFECTED = 'on'
should be prefered vs.
  av_REMOVE_INFECTED = on
in order to make the procmail code running as fast as possible.

I don't see any procmail documentation if not using quotes at all
equals to using double-quotes, but it seems to be the case, since
something like
  INCLUDERC = $av_INSTALLDIR/inc/av_v320.inc
has the same effect as
  INCLUDERC = "$av_INSTALLDIR/inc/av_v320.inc"

Yes, good point. So let's not underuse the single quotes
either. Like VERBOSE = 'on', and MAXSC = '2147483647'.
That also communicates that with variables there is only
text (or nothing, when undefined).

I do prefer to overuse doublequotes, like in
  var1 = "$var2$var3"
where they are AFAIK also not necessary.

--
Grtz, Ruud