Re: 'Folder: bounced '

2004-12-26 07:36:35
On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 10:15:45PM +1100, Adam Bogacki wrote:

[Running the diagnostics rcfile I posted]

 adam(_at_)Tux:/var/tmp10:08:51$ procmail /var/tmp/diag.rc < /dev/null
 procmail: [7354] Sun Dec 26 22:09:32 2004
 procmail: Assigning "LINEBUF=4096"
 procmail: Assigning "MAILDIR=/home/adam/Mail"
 procmail: Assigning "DEFAULT=/home/adam/Mail/.Inbox/"
 procmail: Assigning "LOGFILE=/home/adam/Mail/.procmaillog"
 procmail: Opening "/home/adam/Mail/.procmaillog"

Interesting that something turned on verbose logging, apparently
in your /etc/procmailrc (called as an INCLUDERC from the diag.rc
file you invoked).  There was not yet a logfile set, which is why
this output also comes to the screen.

Then you set the logfile in /etc/procmailrc, and that output
gets redirected there after this.  ("There" being
/home/adam/Mail/.procmaillog ).

 LINEBUF=4096
 COMSAT=no
 SHELL=/bin/bash
 HOST=Tux
 MSGPREFIX=msg.
 SHELLMETAS=&|<>~;?*[
 LOCKEXT=.lock
 DEFAULT=/home/adam/Mail/.Inbox/
 INCLUDERC=/etc/procmailrc

(That's how we know it was called.)

 LOGABSTRACT=all
 LASTFOLDER=cd backup && rm -f dummy 'ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,200d'
 PATH=/home/adam/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
 ORGMAIL=/var/mail/adam
 PWD=/home/adam/Mail
 MAILDIR=/home/adam/Mail
 VERBOSE=ON
 LOGFILE=/home/adam/Mail/.procmaillog
 SHLVL=1
 HOME=/home/adam
 LOGNAME=adam
 PROCMAIL_VERSION=3.22
 LOG=/etc/procmailrc u:adam h:/home/adam m:/home/adam/Mail
 SENDMAILFLAGS=-oi
 save_LOGFILE=/home/adam/Mail/.procmaillog

That was "just in case" -- if there ws no logfile set in /etc/procmailrc,
we'd see this as a blank value.  But as confirmed above under "LOGFILE"
and earlier above in the raw procmail output before a logfile was set,
the /etc/procmailrc sets your $LOGFILE to /home/adam/Mail/.procmaillog .

 DROPPRIVS=yes

And now I see one of your problems.  See below.

 SHELLFLAGS=-c
 SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail
 _=/usr/bin/env
 adam(_at_)Tux:/var/tmp10:09:35$

You can't find a current logfile for user "adam".  I'd say the reason is
the same reason you couldn't run my diag.rc file at first: It was created
with the root account, so adam cannot read or write to it.

That's why its date is so old!  Notice that you set DROPPRIVS to yes.
But notice that you had already set the LOGFILE in /etc/procmailrc before
you invoked DROPPRIVS!  That means that the logfile is owned by root.
"adam" can't read it or write to it.  The attempts procmail makes to write
to the logfile when run under "adam" all fail.

You'd need to turn on DROPPRIVS in /etc/procmailrc *before* you set the
logfile.

We still don't know what's happening in your $HOME/.procmailrc, because we
didn't run it with this diagnostics trial.  (In any case it wouldn't be
wise to indiscriminately run and INCLUDERC on $HOME/.procmailrc, because
many people do explicit delivery in their .procmailrc files.  Thus,
we'd have delivery of a [blank, it's /dev/null, remember] message
if that is the case.)

But whatever LOGFILE might be set to in $HOME/.procmailrc, it will
only have entries from the point the LOGFILE value is changed, onward.
Attempts to log earlier (from /etc/procmail) failed for the reasons cited.

--
dman