diags rc

2004-12-21 09:11:58
From: Dallman Ross [mailto:dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com]

Here's something else to try.

Create an rcfile, which you can call "diags.rc" or whatever you want.
Here's what's in mine [. . .]

 ---------------- cut here ----------------
 save_LOGFILE = "$LOGFILE"

 INCLUDERC = /etc/procmailrc

 save_DEFAULT = "$DEFAULT"
 DEFAULT = /dev/null   # don't deliver our test messages to
the real $DEFAULT

 DUMMY=`env > /dev/tty`
 ---------------- cut here ----------------

On second thought, let's move the "save_LOGFILE thing
down lower where it might actually do some good.  :)

  ---------------- cut here ----------------
  INCLUDERC = /etc/procmailrc

  save_LOGFILE = "$LOGFILE"
  save_DEFAULT = "$DEFAULT"
  DEFAULT = /dev/null    # don't deliver our test messages

  DUMMY = `env > /dev/tty`
  ---------------- cut here ----------------

Now run it, and watch the screen for the output.  The line used
to run it is this:

 procmail /var/tmp/diags.rc < /dev/null

I'll paste in my screen with output:

I should have added that many of these values come from the
shell.  Procmail overwrites the shell ones when there is
a conflict, however, is my understanding.

PATH=/net/u/1/d/dman/bin:/net/u/1/d/dman/bin:/bin:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:.:/usr/local/contrib/bin

That's an example of the shell info instead of procmail's.

If I tell procmail

  LOG="
  $PATH
  "
I get this:
 /net/u/1/d/dman/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin

And that wa actaully shown in the "env" output as
 ISP_PATH=/net/u/1/d/dman/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin

If you want to know what procmail is saying rather than
what the shell is saying, you can use my self-test.rc
available at

  http://vsnag.spamless.us/src/tools

as "vsnag.self-test.rc"; and you can run it as an INCLUDERC
in your rcfile near the end.  Then you'd need to look in
your log to see its output, however.  I gave the method
using "DUMMY=`env > /dev/tty`" as an alternative primarily
because the OP was unable to find his log file.

Dallman