Re: 'Folder: bounced '

2004-12-25 03:32:28
On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 08:03:09PM +1100, Adam Bogacki wrote:

Thanks Dallman,

 unfortunately your script did not work, I'm not sure
why, giving me

Tux:/var/tmp#  procmail /var/tmp/diags.rc < /dev/null
procmail: Couldn't read "/var/tmp/diags.rc"

and

Tux:~#  procmail /var/tmp/diags.rc < /dev/null
procmail: Couldn't read "/var/tmp/diags.rc"

.. even after I made it executable via

Tux:/var/tmp# chmod a+x diag.rc

Well, first of all, it's not a script.  It's a procmail
rcfile -- just as your own .procmailrc is.  More important,
the error message doesn't say anything about "execute."
It says it cannot *read* it.  Third, even if adding
"execute" would be helpful, you are attempting (at least
in this report of what you did) to change "diag.rc"; while
the file you show you tried to run above is called "diags.rc".

I presume from the symtoms you created the file as root
then tried to run the procmail as adam.

I would suggest responding to the error message rather than
something else you've decided to assume it means.  :)

How about

  chmod go+r /var/tmp/diags.rc     # or wherever/whatever

(The "x" is not necessary but doesn't matter here.)
Note that if you create the file as root, user "adam" will
in any case not be able to chmod it.  I suggest you create
the file as adam and run it as adam.

Here is my little diags rcfile with slight further refinement.

  --------------------- cut here ---------------------
  INCLUDERC = /etc/procmailrc

  # create a var visible in the output
  save_LOGFILE = "$LOGFILE"

  DUMMY = `env > /dev/tty`

  HOST = byebye   # exit without delivery

Again, run it from the shell with:

  procmail /var/tmp/diags.rc < /dev/null    # or wherever/whatever

--
dman