Re: Using procmail with no home directory

2005-01-24 17:27:08
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 05:11:43PM -0600, Fran Fabrizio wrote:

postfix --> procmail --> rt-mailgate or /dev/null based on spam header
scores

but I have no idea where I'd put the procmail rule.  There's no home
directory for 'helpdesk', and I don't think I want it in any sort of
global /etc/procmailrc and have to check that rule for every piece of
mail that comes in, checking if it is for the helpdesk (well under 1% of
mail is for helpdesk).

I'm using postfix as the MTA, but I don't think that postfix has a
facility for doing what I need without a filter-capable MDA like procmail.

Well, but I suspect you do, indeed, want /etc/procmailrc, though I'm
not absolutely certain since I'm not a sysadmin and don't know what
postfix hooks there might be to get aliases over to procmail.  (Why
not ask on a postfix-related list?)

But it's easy enough to just leave the 99% of the mail alone anyway,
although you would employ an /etc/procmailrc file.  It only needs to
say

    :0
    * ! ^(To|Cc):(_dot_)*helpdesk(_at_)wherever\(_dot_)edu
    { SWITCHRC }

and whatever's not for the helpdesk will leave the /etc/procmailrc
at this point.  If those other accounts don't have a .procmailrc
file, then the mail will exit procmail entirely right there and
proceed as without procmail.

Then, below that, you can put your SA rules or whatever else you want.

--
dman