Re: odd off the wall question

2005-03-09 13:54:44
Pablo Carapella schreef:

Most of the spam coming through is sent to other people in my company
many of whom are no longer with us and their accounts have been
deleted. How is it that other people on the server are getting those
e-mails.

 I can not filter many of the team here because the sales crew wants
every e-mail sent to them to get through, but now I have the
complaints about messages sent to others, that go to them.

Any enlightenment or dirrection on this would be helpful.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html

The value of the To: (and Cc:) and From: header can be totally fake.

At the SMTP-level, the sending server tells the receiving server
to which recipients (see RCPT TO) a message should be delivered. Per
recipient, the receiving server will accept or reject.

The message-data is normally not changed as a result of those
negotiations, so the rejected recipients will still be named
in the To:/Cc:headers inside the message data.

The receiving server doesn't mind much what is inside most of the
message data. It might add a Date: or a Message-ID: or a From: header,
because they MUST be there. It might add a "To: undisclosed
recipients;",
if a To: header was missing. But normally only a Received-header is
prepended and that is it.

To speed up the mail handling by the sales crew, you need to sort
the mail for them, like: normal, probably spam, most probably spam.
If the To:/Cc:header does not contain a good address, then sort the
message into the appropriate box.
SpamAssassin is a popular tool to rate messages with a spam-score.

--
Grtz, Ruud