Re: Forwarding via procmail

2005-06-21 05:09:00
Thanks for the reply.

Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Josh Kelley schreef:
We're trying to set up forwarding via procmail.
Beware of becoming an open relay.
I've seen this caution before and don't entirely understand it. This is a risk with any forwarding system, right? Is forwarding (such as with .forward) no longer recommended at all? Or should anti-virus and anti-spam be enough to make it usable?

First, if the address to forward to is invalid,
then the bounce should go to the original sender
The 'original sender' is often faked. Anti-virus and anti-spam should
all be done first.
Understood.  This is how we're currently set up.

Here's my procmailrc recipe

I don't uderstand why the outer brace-level is there.
Is this the complete central procmailrc for everybody,
or a .procmailrc (dot-procmailrc) of a specific user?

From the 'address-to-forward-to(_at_)example(_dot_)com' I assume
that this is a .procmailrc that is generated for each
user.

I think you can remove the c-flag and delete the last two recipes:
This is for individual users.

The outer brace levels are included in Horde's machine-generated .procmailrcs, and I'm trying to change as little as possible. I think that their intent is to create .procmailrc fragments that can be included along with other filtering and filing rules without interfering with each other. That's also why I added the c-flag and last two recipes; I didn't want to assume any kind of default behavior from falling through the bottom of the recipe.

Thanks.

Josh Kelley