Re: recipe blocking mail with attachements

2005-06-22 08:02:27
On Jun 21, Damian Menscher (nospam-menscher(_at_)uiuc(_dot_)edu(_dot_)ns) typed:

Damian:  On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org wrote:
Damian:  >  At 11:13 2005-06-21 -0500, Damian Menscher wrote:
Damian:  >
Damian:  >  >  Procmail wasn't exactly designed to filter spam.  You should, at
Damian:  >  >  minimum, investigate the scoring features.  Or, if you're
Damian:  >  >  intelligent, check into spamassassin.
Damian:  >
Damian:  >  Using or not using SA has no thing to do with intelligence.  Several
Damian:  >  contributors here on the procmail list get along fine without it.
Damian:  >  I've not had any spam to my inbox in a week, and that's when I added
Damian:  >  a couple of refinements to my filters to deal with some false
Damian:  >  pozzies on a few lists.
Damian:
Damian:  Mind telling us what your rules are, and how many false positives you
Damian:  get?  I use procmail to supplement spamassassin and clamav, but
Damian:  couldn't imagine using it alone.  Your rules must be quite impressive.

I use procmail and sendmail only.  Emails that sendmail accept have to run
through 1 of 2 major tests in procmail:  either you're from temple.edu or
not.  Then there's sub-conditions based off of that.

Id like to say I have a very high success rate at filtering spam, but I
really dont know as of late because I havent looked.  My "potential spam"
folder receives about 5 emails a week.

Then again, I not a good example to model because Im the sole user on the
system.
I dont have to worry about satisifying other users.

I used to add|modify|delete|simplify my rules over a period of year, but
now Im pretty much at the point where everything is working OK.

My 2 cents.

 Birl

 Sendmail blackhole list (54300+ domains so far)
 http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/sendmail_blacklist.shtml