Re[2]: Getting Procmail Started

2005-07-19 16:35:41
On Tuesday, July 19, 2005 5:32:06 PM
PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org
(Professional Software Engineering) wrote:

At 14:36 2005-07-19 -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
[BIG SNIP - this isn't a sendmail support list]

I realise that. I was only trying to show how I had attempted to get
procmail to work.

MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(`procmail')

The default installation did not have them ticked. I changed them at
your suggestion. I also removed the MAILER(`procmail') directive.
Subsequently, I recompiled and installed the files.

I added the MAILER (`procmail') and FEATURE(`local_procmail') directives
myself. Then I ran 'make all install restart'.

FTR, the smtp and local MAILER declarations should be ticked just like the
procmail one above.  That said, the MAILER procmail definition HAS NOTHING
TO DO WITH INVOKING PROCMAIL AS LDA.  It's so that you can create sendmail
rules to deliver to procmail directly.  It can be handy, but virtually
nobody does that.  It is unnecessary for using procmail as the LDA (which
is set up with the local_procmail FEATURE).

This is my procmailrc file.

Er, *YOUR* as in your USER procmailrc?  If so, it should be ~/.procmailrc
(note dot).

I have it like that. I simply did not use the dot when composing the
message. My mistake.

If a global procmailrc, then it's /etc/procmailrc (no dot, but in a
specific dir).

Be clear - if it isn't one of these two files, and named accordingly, it
won't be used.

#Preliminaries
SHELL=/bin/sh               #Use the Bourne shell (check your path!)
PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail             #First check what your mail directory is!
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/pmlog

Confirm that these dirs EXIST.

I changed the .procmailrc file slight, as someone else suggested, but it
still will not log anything. This is the changed file.

SHELL="/bin/sh"
LOGFILE="$HOME/pm.log"
MAILDIR="$HOME/mail"
VERBOSE="YES"

# Accept all of the mail
:0:
$(DEFAULT)

I am about ready to call it quits for the day. I cannot figure out what
the problem is. All I can figure out is that the program is not being
started correctly. Do you have any suggestion for checking on that?
--
Gerard E. Seibert
gerard-seibert(_at_)suscom(_dot_)net