Re[2]: Getting Procmail Started

2005-07-19 17:18:06
At 18:26 2005-07-19 -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(`procmail')

The default installation did not have them ticked.

Is this a "package", or an actual source distribution (i.e. sendmail
downloaded from sendmail.org)?  I suspect a package -- not everybody
producing packages does things correctly.

Subsequently, I recompiled and installed the files.

Note that the quoting on those unrelated directives has no effect on your
procmail problem - I merely noted them because I noted them to be in error.

I added the MAILER (`procmail') and FEATURE(`local_procmail') directives
myself. Then I ran 'make all install restart'.

Uhm, I'm not familiar with the specific makefile you're using - I use
"Build" in the sendmail cf/cf/ dir, where the .mc file is supposed to be,
then review the generated .cf, and copy it to my /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (and
as appropriate, build and copy the separate submit.cf as well), then run my
own make to restart sendmail as appropriate (it deals with databases and
restarts when the cf is changed, etc).  Perhaps you should verify that your
/etc/sendmail.cf actually reflects the configuration you've made?

I am about ready to call it quits for the day. I cannot figure out what
the problem is. All I can figure out is that the program is not being
started correctly. Do you have any suggestion for checking on that?

Check the system maillog for messages about procmail.  Bad permissions on
rcfiles can cause procmail to NOT process them in deference to security.

See the URL in my .sig and retrieve the procmail diagnostic script, review
it, then run it (as the user for which you're trying to use procmail for),
and see what it reports.