Re: sending spam to /dev/null

2005-07-25 05:25:12
G.W. Haywood:

Occasionally a legitimate mail is blocked.  When that
happens either I never find out about it (bad, but not a disaster:)
or the sender finds a way to let me know - usually by reading the
bounce message

By 'bounce' I assume that you mean the 'non-delivery notice' (see RfC
821) that the sending mail server will create because your (receiving)
mail server SMTP-rejected the message.

The word 'bounce' is used for too many things. Literally, a 'bounce' is
a redirected message, not a message about a message.

Personally I like procmail a lot for the things that I use it for but
I think it isn't the right tool for fighting spam.

Fighting spam often just means to make it invisible. There are many ways
to do that. An end-user can use procmail to discard any spam that passed
the central filters (if any). A sysop of a mail server can use procmail
to sort deliverable messages into good, suspect and probably-bad.

Does anyone use procmail to SMTP-Reject messages? That would mean
calling procmail a few times:
1. just before the SMTP-DATA phase (with only TCPIP/HELO/FROM/RCPT data
available)
2. at the end of the SMTP-DATA-phase, just before the
SMTP-accept/-reject is decided
3. in the standard way (I assume that is after the message is
SMTP-accepted, but maybe it isn't)

--
Grtz, Ruud