Re: procmail for individual users on server

2005-12-07 22:49:55
At 15:22 2005-12-08 +1100, MailingList wrote:
I am trying to get procmail functioning on my low level web/mail server (I
am quite new at this) running Fed2.

I take it you're referring to a Red Hat distro.  We don't speak proprietary
distro-ese here.  Unless someone is running that particular distro, we
couldn't tell you what version or procmail is necessarily installed by the
developers of that distribution.

I have been able to create a simple recipe that simply forwards mail to a
different address. However, I don t want it to forward all mail just mail
for particular accounts. I believe that this can be done by using local
.procmailrc  files in the HOME directories of users.

You really should use MTA *ALIASES* for this.

Try as I might I cannot get it see this user file only the global rc. Is
there a setting in sendmail that turns on the ability to look past the
global and see the user .procmailrc file?

The mail has to originally be delivering to the USER.  However, if you have
a global procmailrc (/etc/procmailrc) then that will be processed BEFORE
the user's own procmailrc.  It's not advised to use the global procmailrc
to do generic final delivery, but rather use it to pre-process messages
(central virus and spam filtering for instance), someimes with final
delivery, but generally not for ALL mail passing through the global
procmailrc - otherwise local users can't use procmail.