Re: adding an Expires: header...

2006-01-12 13:00:31
Don Russell wrote:

[snip]

When I first started this, I added X-Expires:, then one day, while
researching something unrelated I found an rfc that defined Expires: ...
now of course I cant find that rfc again. :-(

Well... I found it... RFC2156 ( http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2156.html )

Perhaps I misinterpreted what the RFC was trying to tell me... looking
more closely at the RFC now, I see it's relating X.400 mail to RFC822 mail.
The RFC says an Expires: header may be present in an X.400 message that
passed through a gateway to an RFC822 mail client.. (Section 2.2.2)

So... this lead me to thinking, "Why not add the same header with my
procmail recipes, even if the message did NOT originate in an X.400
environment? (Who cares where the message originated? It's on my system
now, and I can programmatically predict when I no longer want it.)

I don't SEND Expires: header in any outgoing mail, I just add the header
to INCOMING mail that meets certain criteria (news alerts, that sort of
thing).

Of course, I don't have anything yet that actually DELETES the expired
items... but at least the headers are there if/when I develop/find
something... :-)

But, I also prefer to adhere to standards wherever possible...

Don