procmail setup probs, several

2006-02-12 22:28:08
Greetings all;

Old fart newbie to procmail here.

I supposedly have fetchmail set to use it as its default mda, but things
aren't exactly working right.

Trying to get away from doing everything as root here, although I've
been doing that since 1998 & my first linux box.

Fetchmail will fall back to port 25 IIRC if the defined mda isn't there.
But I can see procmail in a "ps -eaF|grep procmail" report occasionally
but its never ever there long enough for it to have waited on
spamassassin as in this procmailrc case:

# Feed everything under 500k and not from the sa list to spamc
:0
* < 500000
{
   :0 fw: spamassassin.lock
   | /usr/bin/spamc -t 150 -u gene
}

as its there, and gone 1 second later.

I'm fairly sure if there was a problem, it should be reported in the
fetchmail.log but there's no mention in that file of any kind of a
problem.  I've not investigated as to whether or not I can make
fetchmail a lot more talkative temporarily either.

There is also this command in the procmailrc, to mark the messages
header with a new "X-Procmail: user $LOGNAME" added line:

LOGNAME = /var/log/procmail.log

:0 fw
| formail -A "X-procmail: user $LOGNAME"

Yeah, I know LOGNAME is missdefined.  I'll fix that to be the user
running it, but thats beside the point, its there to prove procmail saw
the message and that line is NOT being added to the message.  And no
spam is being marked with this stanza at the bottom of the procmailrc
file:

# Feed everything under 500k and not from the sa list to spamc
:0
* < 500000
{
   :0 fw: spamassassin.lock
   | /usr/bin/spamc -t 150 -u gene
}

# Sometimes SA bails. I have some rawbody and full "per user" rules.
:0 fw
{
   :0 fw
   | nice -n 1 /usr/bin/spamassassin

   :0 fw
   | Formail -A "X-GeneMissed: SpamAssassin checks bombed first time."

# Some debugging.
   :0 fw
   | sed -e 's/Subject:/Subject: [ZZ Missed]/'

   :0c: clone1.lock
   $HOME/mail/sa_failed
}

# This gives you a raw clone of the processed mail.  Clean it up dummy!
:0c: clone.lock

And of course none of the named files, although they have been touched,
are being updated.

How do I go about getting enough verbosity out of both fetchmail and
procmail so the real problem can be seen and fixed?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: