Re: Invisible To/From

2006-03-22 04:34:10
On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:24:54PM -0500, fleet(_at_)teachout(_dot_)org wrote:
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:24:54 -0500 (EST)
From: fleet(_at_)teachout(_dot_)org
Subject: Invisible To/From
To: procmail list <procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE>

I've recently been seeing

From: "[%from_name%]" <[%from_email(_at_)]>
To: <[%to(_at_)]>

in some spam messages.  Obviously someone messed up his/her script; but
for some strange (to me) reason, procmail just can not see any of these
"codes."

0:
* ^To: <[%to(_at_)]>
foundit

from my testing sandbox provides zero results.  I've even tried to escape
every character (individually and all) and still nothing.  I've also, just
for kicks, tried * ^To:.*<[%to(_at_)]>. Nada.

Well, Fleet, you have a regex for a character class inside the
brackets.  I'll bet you didn't try escaping the open-bracket, did you?

You have: "'^To: ' followed by '<' followd by any of '%', 't', 'o',
or '@', followed by '>'.  I don't think that's going to catch much.

Try

I think it's silly to bother coding on each such individual case
that Random Spammer happens to be sending this week, though.  You
will driver yourself crazy.  Much better to have rules that work
in general cases.  Example: if there's not a valid email address
in the To-line, send it to the spam pile.

Dallman