Re: systemwide procmailrc and user

2006-07-17 16:42:51
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 04:10:23PM -0600, Google Kreme wrote:

On 16 Jul 2006, at 06:55 , Dallman Ross wrote:

Aside to Kreemey: I didn't get your joke about the ostensible
difference betwewen "a Unix system" and "a Unix(tm) system."

Unic(tm) is a trademark of ... well, it used to be AT&T and
is now rather infamously owned by The SCO Group.  Linux and
BSD are not Unix (tm) and neither is OS X, which is based on
BSD. However, they are all 'unix'.

I am vaguely aware of some of the AT&T->SCO doing in law
from a few years ago.  However, what you are saying here can't
be right from a technical, legal point of view.  (I have a
law degree.)  A trademark protects a name of a product or
service.  If Unix is a trademark, then it jeopardizes the
trademark for non-mark use to persist in the public nomenclature.
For example, "zipper" was once a trademark for a type of
friction-pull fastener.  Since the word entered the standard
vocabulary, the trademark was lost.  That scenario has replayed
many times.  It is a reason Hormel is very careful with the
wording on its pages detailing its trademark on SPAM.  (Note
capitalization; that is Hormel's trademark.  The stuff you
get in your inbox is "spam," lower-case.)

http://www.spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm

Your shorthand description of the situation with regard to
Unix simply cannot be correct.  That's why I asked you to
explain -- but your explanation doesn't help. :-)

Btw, there is a difference between the (r) symbol and the (tm)
symbol.  But I'm getting awfully far afield from procmail, so
I'll stop.

Dallman