Re: Help with filtering the sender

2006-10-02 12:42:35
At 19:29 2006-10-02 +0100, Steve A wrote:
Because some plonker is using my domain as a return-path when sending
their spam,

If they're valid email addresses at your domain, this is referred to as
"joe-jobbing".  Otherwise, it's simple forgery.

_I_ get a legitimate message from the intended recipient telling my I've
sent a spam.

Dealing with this is best handled at the MTA, rather than receiving all the
junk.

Write up a report about the problem (including "examine the message headers
for submission IP address and you'll see that it didn't originate from
here"), then configure your MTA to bounce messages delivered to the
addresses getting the messages, including that URL.  Leave it in place for
a few days, then lift it.  The webpage can include reference to an
alternate address to use to send actual email to the original address.

If it's to your regular email address, that truely sucks.  There's going to
be a LOT of different submission addresses - particularly from the
microsoft crowd, where no two sites can simply send administrative bounces
from a recognized address (heck, some send them from fake addresses).

I believe you could set the actual recipient address up to be an alias to
two separate local accounts - one would generate an error to the sender,
and the other would deliver as normal.  This way, your MTA could still deal
with notifying irate senders, and any of your regular mail would still
arrive (along with all the irate messages).  This approach has its issues
though: it'll generate bounces even for your regular mail, which would be
uncool if you're on discussion lists, but might not be such a problem for
occasional personal correspondance.