Re: Help with filtering the sender

2006-10-02 13:18:27
Professional Software Engineering wrote:
If they're valid email addresses at your domain, this is referred to
as "joe-jobbing".  Otherwise, it's simple forgery.

They're valid addresses at my domain because I accept them because I
haven't yet compiled a list of all the addresses I've used for myself
(eg. procmail(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)tld).  They're random (often rude) words used
make the user part of the address.

Dealing with this is best handled at the MTA, rather than receiving
all the junk.

I don't have control at SMTP level, only what procmail can do for me.

Write up a report about the problem (including "examine the message
headers for submission IP address and you'll see that it didn't
originate from here"), then configure your MTA to bounce messages
delivered to the addresses getting the messages, including that URL.
Leave it in place for a few days, then lift it.  The webpage can
include reference to an alternate address to use to send actual email
to the original address.

I have big issues with bouncing messages of this nature, because it only
adds to the pleathora of junk already in circulation, and I don't want
to dump my problem onto someone else.

If it's to your regular email address, that truely sucks.  There's

Yup, that's my problem.  I'm getting on average 2,500+ per day, most of
which I can filter but I'm looking to tweak procmail so I can easily
edit the sender list file if I need to add another sender string.

In the course of writing this email I've solved the problem, so here's
the result.  If anyone can think of something I've missed, or need to
watch out for, please chip in.

         :0
         * $? echo \"$MATCH\" | grep -i -f $LIST
         testbox