Re: starting sendmail without user login shell [was: no vacation sent]

2006-12-29 18:19:12
At 12:22 2006-12-29 -0700, Google Kreme wrote:

If the shell is set to /bin/false then it is likely because the
admins do not WANT the users spawning shells.

Or do not want them shelling in on the server in general (versus having
cron jobs or whatever).  So, the rcfile is being uploaded via FTP instead,
or created by the system administrator, who in turn should realize that a
duff shell is going to cause issues.

It can also be an issue of multiple hosts - you might have a login on one
computer which has an NFS or similar mount to or from the mail host, where
you DO NOT have a shell login.  Here, it would be possible for you to log
in and create an rcfile but on the host it acually gets run on, you don't
have a shell...