Re: starting sendmail without user login shell [was: no vacation sent]

2006-12-13 16:34:05
Zitat von Mike <mikee(_at_)mikee(_dot_)ath(_dot_)cx>:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Markus Krause might have said:

Hi List,

after intensive debugging i found the reason for the problem described
below: to prevent users from logging in directly to our mail server
all shells for the users are set to /bin/false. but obviously sendmail
needs a real shell.

does anyone know a solution without setting the login shell to
something else than /bin/false?
or does someone know a different procmail rule for vacation?

thanks in advance for any help!

On my linux box there is a /sbin/nologin. I know historically
using /bin/false is the way to go. Would /sbin/nologin be the
same?
thanks for your fast answer! i'll try that ...

What about changing the password field /etc/passwd to
'LOCKED' or something?
we are running uw-imap on that server (i know, not the best choice but
we have it since several years and an upgrade seems to be too much
effort right now ...) so i assume the passwords need to be unchanged.

but thank you for your help!

with best regards
    markus

--
Markus Krause                                   email:
krause(_at_)biochem(_dot_)mpg(_dot_)de

      This message was sent using https://webmail2.biochem.mpg.de
If you encounter any problems please report to
rz-linux(_at_)biochem(_dot_)mpg(_dot_)de