Re: starting sendmail without user login shell [was: no vacation sent]

2006-12-28 15:37:41
Dallman Ross <dman <at> nomotek.com> writes:

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 04:44:41PM +0100, Markus Krause wrote:
after intensive debugging i found the reason for the problem described
below: to prevent users from logging in directly to our mail server
all shells for the users are set to /bin/false. but obviously sendmail
needs a real shell.

does anyone know a solution without setting the login shell to
something else than /bin/false?
or does someone know a different procmail rule for vacation?

What David Tamkin said:

  SHELL = /bin/sh

in /etc/procmailrc or wherever.

Dallman

Does anyone know why it explicitly needs a shell to invoke sendmail?  Can't that
be done through a system call?  I encountered this same issue (although our
users' shells were set to /usr/bin/pine), and used the proposed fix here, but
I'd like to have a better understanding of what exactly the shell is needed for
to invoke sendmail (or in my case, Exim).  Thanks!

Ryan