Simple recipe to move uninteresting threads in separate mailbox

2006-12-30 10:16:03
Hello,

I have already configured my mail client to write the Message-Ids of
uninteresting messages in a plain text file called irrelevant_threads,
one per line:

<455442DB(_dot_)3030502(_at_)unix(_dot_)sbg(_dot_)ac(_dot_)at>
<20061115131249(_dot_)GA4511(_at_)masterpost>
<20061203175823(_dot_)GL3261(_at_)aragorn(_dot_)home(_dot_)lxtec(_dot_)de>

etc....

that file will be emptied every two weeks by a cron job.

I am trying to write a recipe that does this:

if (new message has In-Reply-To header with a Message-Id contained in
    .irrelevant_threads)

    (with "grep -qFf" or similar systems which don't assume the
     existance of databases, perl modules and so on)

        append the Message-Id of the new message to .irrelevant_threads
        save the new message only in $MAILDIR/irrelevant_list_threads

how would you write this recipe? Frankly, I've never tried something
so complex (for me of course) so I'd really appreciate your help here!

Notes:

0) I am aware that this will _also_ hide "new" threads made replying
   to the last received message and changing the subject, and that's
   fine with me

1) I _have_ already found and read
   http://www.it.ca/software/procmail-filter-msgid
   and the corresponding thread in the procmail list archives, but I'll
   confess I'm confused. Does it _really_ have to be so complicated? The
   recipe "flow diagram" above is just one check and two consecutive
   actions if the check succeeds. Maybe I'm naive, but I was expecting
   the recipe to be more or less the same length (3/4 lines). What am
   I missing?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Marco