Re: Simple recipe to move uninteresting threads in separate mailbox

2006-12-31 10:46:21
At 08:57 2006-12-31 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 17:46:47 PM -0800, Professional Software
Engineering (PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org) wrote:

So, the tweaked recipe looks like:

Sean,

thanks a lot for putting all this together to help me.

Pending comments and further improvements from other list members, I
will now add the recipe to my procmailrc file, see what happens and
report here. It doesn't _delete_ anything, the worst thing it could do
is flag as irrelevant a message which isn't, so it's OK to test it
"live" isn't it? Just one last question before starting:

You might check my website and fetch the "sandbox" setup from there, then
run the recipe from within that to test it against _saved_ mail, like so:

formail -s procmail -m sandbox.rc < mail/savedmail.mbx

Though if you're using maildir format, you'll have to iteratively invoke
formail instead of splitting an mbx.

# If you set your MUA to invoke formail to cache ignored threads
# using the

what would be the correct formail command to launch from Mutt?

well, you could invoke it as a simple procmail script.  I don't use mutt,
but I'll presume that it is piping the entire message.  Tweak the following
to the paths to the rcfile as necessary as well as any pipe prefix syntax
which mutt might require:

procmail -m ignore.rc

[ignore.rc]

# if needed, though unlikely
SHELL=/bin/sh

# set up MAILDIR to be equal to whatever it is when the regular procmail
# recipe runs, OR hardcode the path for the lockfile here AND in the
# regular procmail recipe.

# intended to be called from mutt to take messageid of the piped message
# and insert it into the ignore file.  You could do this directly, but
# this procmail recipe enforces a lock (which should match the lock being
# used in the regular procmailrc).

:0h:ignore.cache$LOCKEXT