Re: First tests of: Simple recipe to move uninteresting threads in separate mailbox

2006-12-31 11:38:09
On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 08:29:16 AM -0800, Professional Software
Engineering (PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org) wrote:

Apart from that, there is the fact that, when a message has both I-R-T
and References headers it gives a duplicate entry. This should be
solved, I think, piping the output of sed to uniq.

That's not totally necessary...  Your call.

I agree, it's a matter of taste.

procmail: Assigning "INCLUDERC=/home/marco/.procmail_irrelevant_threads"

I can't speak for others, but often a .procmail/ directory is where
individual rcfiles get placed

This is the same things I do for other applications. I hadn't done it
yet with procmail because so far I only had a couple of files and
lazyness won, but it's certainly the best practice

procmail: Extraneous locallockfile ignored

That's my fault, and I should know better.

No problem. The least I can do after all your help is be a good
tester!

Although I expect you might be coming around to the idea of just
using formail to manage the id cache from your MUA as well

Yes, as mentioned in another reply, having id caches only managed by
formail (even when called by the MUA) gives a nice sliding window. As
soon as I'll have put together a suitable mutt macro I will merge the
two grep operation and remove the scoring like this:

* ? grep -qF "$REFSNL" ignore*.cache

but, does grep -qF works the same way with multiple files or only the
_first _one which matches the pattern??? Never tried it, and the man
page isn't clear on this...

Now, after all that, let me wish you a new year with fewer trolls and
nonsensical threads needing to be filtered out <g>

So, where's my beer?  I accept drop shipments from the UK, home of porters
and cream stouts.  <g>

No beers from Italy, just Chianti wine or (traditionally used to
celebrate the new year) Spumante (italian version of Champagne, just
better :-) )

Thanks again, and now I'm really going to turn the PC off...

Happy 2007,

Marco