Re: procmail 101

2007-04-11 04:41:29
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Bart Schaefer wrote:

} On 4/9/07, Vince LaMonica <vjl(_at_)cullasaja(_dot_)com> wrote:
} >
} > entire recipe is failing - eg: no versiontracker.gz file gets created. I
} > used to have a very similar recipe work just fine
} > [^From:(_dot_)*list(_at_)versiontracker(_dot_)com], but it too is failing.
What bonehead
} > obvious thing am I missing?
}
} Check that you haven't accidentally introduced carriage-return (^M)
} characters at the ends of any of the lines in the file.

Good idea. I went ahead and deleted the recipe completely, and typed it up
from scratch after reading your advice. There still could be CRs somewhere
in the file, but since the recipe right above and below work, I'm not
sure if I should keep looking for errant ^Ms. I don't edit my recipes in a
DOS environment, so I don't believe [maybe incorrectly!] that any ^Ms have
snuck in.

} Check the syntactic correctness of the recipe immediately preceding
} the failing one to be sure that procmail isn't simply ignoring the
} lines containing that recipe.

The recipe above the versiontracker one is very similar, but filters on
the mysql mailing list. It is working correctly. The recipe following the
versiontracker one is also working [another mailing list filtering one].

} An appropriate setting of LOGFILE combined with VERBOSE=yes might help.

With VERBOSE=yes, I get:

procmail: No match on
"(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparent
ly(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^a-zA-Z])?)mysql(_at_)lists(_dot_)mysql(_dot_)com"

procmail: No match on "^From:(.*\<)?list(_at_)versiontracker\(_dot_)com"

procmail: No match on
"(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparent
ly(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^a-zA-Z])?)ivtv-devel(_at_)ivtvdriver(_dot_)org"

[above log snippet got word-wrapped, so i added CRs between the 3
entries]. The log shows the two receipes right before and after the
versiontracker one, and those two recipes do work. I did have a comment
before the versiontracker recipe:

#From: "VersionTracker"<list(_at_)versiontracker(_dot_)com>

which I failed to mention, but I did remove that [just now] and tested by
sending an e.mail with a From: of list(_at_)versiontracker(_dot_)com and again
the
recipe failed.

I also failed to mention what version of procmail I was using:

procmail v3.22 2001/09/10

[Ubuntu Linux 6.06]

Is there something more I can do to check this rc file for corruption?
[this recipe, along with many others, is in an rc file called
rc.mailinglists, which simply has recipes that sort/filter mailing list
traffic. I'll double check tonight, but I'm 99% certain that all the rest
of the recipes are working fine in that file, since every other list I am
on is getting filtered to the proper mailbox.

Any other ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks,

/vjl/

--
Vince J. LaMonica       Knowledge is knowing a street is one way.
vjl(_at_)cullasaja(_dot_)com  <*>  Wisdom is still looking in both directions.

      When there's nothing else to read: http://www.vjl.org/