Re: calling formail is not adding all intended headers

2007-06-20 19:09:28
Bart Schaefer wrote:
On 6/20/07, Don Russell <don(_at_)drussell(_dot_)dnsalias(_dot_)com> wrote:

Sure enough, yes X-Foo: survives:

That you're trying to add X-Keywords: with values like $Label1 makes
me think that you're using a UW IMAP server and you're trying to fool
it into thinking that the labels are present before they've
"officially" been added and stored back to the server by your IMAP
client.

Or something very similar.

It's possible, even probable, that the IMAP server has recognized that
a message that it has never seen before has somehow acquired a
keyword, and is therefore deleting it, so that a malicious sender
can't change the way your email is processed.  The server has no way
to know that you added the header yourself with procmail.

Yes, this occurred to me too. The strange thing to me though, is that I
use this technique in other recipes in /etc/procmailrc and they work
properly - that is, my X-Keywords: $Label1 headers are added and kept
and have the desired effect.

For fun, I think I'll INCLUDERC= this recipe into /etc/procmailrc and
see if it makes a difference.

Totally bizarre if it does.. but that just means there's some aspect of
this I'm not understanding. :-)

Thanks for sharing your ideas. :-)