RE: calling formail is not adding all intended headers

2007-06-21 05:45:59
Bart Schaefer wrote Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:21 AM:

That [. . .] makes me think that you're using a UW IMAP server
and you're trying to fool it [. . . .]

It's possible, even probable, that the IMAP server has
recognized that a message that it has never seen before has
somehow acquired a keyword, and is therefore deleting it, so
that a malicious sender can't change the way your email is
processed.  The server has no way to know that you added the
header yourself with procmail.

I think this is right.  Some servers use the Message-ID and
delete subsequent copies of cached values.  Personally, I
don't like the approach.  (I asked my ISP to disable the
"feature" for my account, and it did so.)  I'd suggest
either disabling that behavior on the server or, as a
workaround, rewriting the Message-ID.  Formail can do the
latter, as long as you're using it.

Dallman