Re: matching one line spam

2007-08-20 11:13:48
In message <0FBF8179-6B46-49AD-8CE5-58619E986C1A(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>, TjL
wrote:
On Aug 20, 2007, at 1:21 PM, N.J. Mann wrote:
In message <32A6A534-4ED7-4276-9029-B3B2BF43EB7E(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>, TjL
wrote:

I've gotten about 6 spams today which are nothing but a text message
with one line:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EXMT.PK

Funnily enough I've just received one of these.  However, in my case it
was marked as spam by procmail because the Subject: was empty.

* ^Subject:[     ]*$

The characters within the square brackets are a tab followed by a space.

Thanks.  I've got a few people I can't get rid of (i.e. family, co-workers)
who apparently have some sort of mental block when it comes to Subject
lines.  At least one uses either none or ALL CAPS in his.

The way to get around that is to white list them, i.e. check for mail
from family members, co-workers, &c., before checking for spam.

I haven't done a lot of matching on body text, is this the correct
recipe to match it?

:0
* B ?? ^http://finance.yahoo.com/q\?s=EXMT\.PK
$SPAM

You should escape all the points, e.g.

* B ?? ^http://finance\.yahoo\.com/q\?s=EXMT\.PK

Thanks!  My previous one did not work as I had gotten another one since

I would suggest that if you don't normally receive messages with Yahoo!
URLs in them, that it would be better to use:

* B ?? ^http://finance\.yahoo\.com

since the spammers like to change things after a few days.

Good idea.  I check my spam folder every couple of days anyway, so I guess
there's no reason not to.

That's exactly what I do. :-)

Have fun with procmail.

Cheers,