Re: FROM_MAILER test discarding legit mail - who's problem?

2007-09-21 10:00:38
Thanks for those who took the time to straighten me out.

BTW, I'm not a system admin. I'm just a guy who works at a college who
wants to get ALL of his email forwarded to another address.  I used
the college's web-based 'forward my mail" script, which wrote a
procmailrc file that I now know doesn't do that.  When I brought the
issue of lost mail up, I was led to believe the senders of that mail
were violating some mail standard and they needed to change their mail
headers.  Now I know better.

I simply want ALL of my email forwarded from myaddress(_at_)college(_dot_)edu to
mypreferred_address(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com , while avoiding any 'loops' that
will get the mail administrrators upset with me.  This is what I'm
using at the moment (based on Michelle's example, and some reading):

-------------------

:0
{
:0fw
| formail -A "X-Loop: myaddress(_at_)mycollege(_dot_)edu"

:0
! mypreferred_address(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com

/dev/null

-------------------

I do understand Bart's suggestion to store mail that doesn't survive
the test(s) in a rotated file instead of sending it to /dev/null, I'm
willing to risk losing some mail for the sake of a simpler procmailrc
file.  I would never look at the file anyway, and if an email is THAT
important, they can call me on the phone.

Anyway, what do you think about using the above *logic* for everyone
at a college who wants to have their mail forwarded to another
account?  Is it advisable for the college's "forward my mail" web tool
to use this logic when writing a person's procmailrc file?

Thanks,
Steve Narmontas