Re: FROM_MAILER test discarding legit mail - who's problem?

2007-09-22 01:24:01
On 21-Sep-2007, at 21:28, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On 9/21/07, LuKreme <kremels(_at_)kreme(_dot_)com> wrote:
all perfectly legal.  Yes, even #!$%!^{fred}(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)tld

"Legal," yes, but in practice one would be insane to attempt to use
such an address.  "!" and "%" in particular have too long a history as
syntactic separators for other forms of address that were
traditionally accepted in the same places that RFC2822 addresses are
found.

And that history died twenty years ago.  And the "bang path" at
least, precluded the use of a '@' sign (or, if I recall correctly any
non alphanumeric).

One of these days I will create an email address using all the legal
'odd' characters and see how it goes.

I suspect that ! will not be an issue, but % might well be for many
MTAs.

--
...when you're no longer searching for beauty or love, just some kind
of life with the edges taken off.  When you can't even define what it