Re: archiving outgoing mail

2008-02-22 17:56:48
At 16:08 2008-02-22 -0700, LuKreme wrote:
The simplest rule to archive the outgoing mail would simply be:

:0fw
| gzip (or 7za or bzip2, whatever) >> /var/mail.archive.gz

:0:

That lock makes no sense.

And yet, you have no lock on your archiving rule!  oops.  I can assure you
that you don't want to have two separate copies of anything writing to the
same file concurrently, least of all if it's a compressor doing the writing
-- you'll NEVER recover the data.  If they were plain text, you might at
least be able to piecemeal some stuff, but the streamed compression would
fail decompression and EVERYTHING AFTER THAT FAILURE would be inaccessible.

I think archiving outbound email is questionable unless you are a
corporation that is required to do so by law.

And further, anyone who WANTS to archive their own outbound mail should
learn to use the facilities within their MUA to do so.  How are the end
users supposed to access their saved outmail anyway?  Or is the idea that
it isn't for THEM, but for some sysadmin or manager who likes to keep tabs
on people?