Re: dynamci filters

2008-07-31 09:30:42

Lay out a flowchart - what happens to each individual message under what
circumstances.  Worry less about the actual _how_ to accomplish certain
bits, and just lay out the what is supposed to happen or not happen.

Hi Sean,
Thanks for your help here.  These are notifications from a Nagios server from
Vendor_B.  The subject will be exactly the same except for the beginning which
will be "PROBLEM" or "RECOVERY".

Basically we have parts of our site outsourced to 2 vendors which are tied to
each other.  If a service breaks with Vendor_A then Vendor_B will send us
notifications.  These go to our oncall pager and Vendor_B refuses to ack this
Nagios alert when we ask them to, which will spit out a notification every 30
minutes until the recovery of the service.  Because the fix is out of our
control and Vendor_A has a terrible service record, as in they will let this
problem go on for days.  I have been using procmail to solve this but I am
currently changing the filters manually.

Here's the flow I'd like to see.
1. All emails go to pager
2. Vendor_B PROBLEM notification is recieved for the first time: to pager
3. Vendor_B PROBLEM notifications continue: to inbox
4. Vendor_B RECOVERY notification: to pager and reset Vendor_B PROBLEM
notification back to pager
5. All other emails go to pager

Hope that is clearer.  Tried to make this as short as possible since I don't
want to take up too much bandwidth here about the cause for this procmail usage.

Thanks again

-george