Re: dynamci filters

2008-07-31 12:56:28
At 09:28 2008-07-31 -0700, George Crum wrote:
Thanks for your help here. These are notifications from a Nagios server from Vendor_B. The subject will be exactly the same except for the beginning which will be "PROBLEM" or "RECOVERY".

Communications clarity is already beginning to fail. "The subject will be exactly the same except for the beginning". Is this subjects relating to any given instance, or subjects across ALL notifications. For example, would "PROBLEM account 1285 server failure" and "RECOVERY account 1285 server failure" be the ONLY subjects you'd ever see, regardless of how many variations or instances of system failure you might experience? Or are the subjects relating to any given failure instance unique, but otherwise the same between the PROBLEM and RECOVERY phases (which is more consistent with my own experiences).

If the latter (unique identifiers to track problem instances) then you need to track the part that is after the PROBLEM or RECOVERY (i.e. a tracking number for instance), and THAT indicates whether the specific issue should be forwarded or not.

PROBLEM 8162315
PROBLEM 9127346

should BOTH be forwarded to the first contact, then be set to forward further messages with those identifiers to the second contact.

RECOVERY 8162315

would then cause further messages with that identifier to be "reset", while the 9127346 identifier would still be going to the second contact until resolved.

Basically we have parts of our site outsourced to 2 vendors which are tied to each other. If a service breaks with Vendor_A then Vendor_B will send us notifications. These go to our oncall pager and Vendor_B refuses to ack this Nagios alert when we ask them to, which will spit out a notification every 30 minutes until the recovery of the service. Because the fix is out of our control and Vendor_A has a terrible service record, as in they will let this problem go on for days. I have been using procmail to solve this but I am currently changing the filters manually.

Er, why not continue to send things to Vendor A because they SHOULD be resolving it, but ALSO send it to Vendor B ?

Here's the flow I'd like to see.
1. All emails go to pager

        that would be, "make copy; forward to pager"?

2. Vendor_B PROBLEM notification is recieved for the first time: to pager
3. Vendor_B PROBLEM notifications continue: to inbox

Q: is "inbox" the account where the procmail process is running, or is it some other address?

        PROBLEM notification received
        extract problem ID (you know, knowing the FORMAT would help)
        Check for existing problem ID file
        if not found, create problem ID file; forward to pager; done
        otherwise, forward (or fall through) to inbox; done

If the problem notifications have a unique ID, then you need to be able to track those IDs. Probably the easiest method would be to extract the ID and use it to touch a file incorporating that ID (so, nominal change to the recipe I already posted). After a while though, I'd expect you might end up with some accumulated files - though if every PROBLEM should have a corresponding RECOVERY within a few days, this probably isn't a big concern. You could append the IDs to a file, but then REMOVING them from the file is a bother, and checking for them is a tiny bit more involved.

4. Vendor_B RECOVERY notification: to pager and reset Vendor_B PROBLEM notification back to pager

        RECOVERY notification received
        extract problem ID
        delete problem ID file (really doesn't matter if it is there or
                not, though we should expect it should be)
        forward to pager; done

5. All other emails go to pager

        Er, please refer to your step 1, where ALL mails are supposed to be
        going to the pager already.