RE: Syslog

2009-02-13 07:23:15
Adrian Overbury wrote Friday, February 13, 2009 3:39:

Has there ever been an effort to improve Procmail's logging, say by

Not that I'm aware of.

sending it into syslog?  It would allow Procmail to have longer log
lines, and make sorting out the log lines for an individual message
easier.  I've Googled for this a few different ways, but have yet to
turn up anything.  Am I just missing something?

 1:15pm [~/Mail] 603[0]> procmail -m LOGFILE=tmplog 'LOG=This is one really
long line for the log file to test your assertion that
line length is somehow limited.  Whyat is the basis for that belief?  I do not
find line length in these log files to be a problem.'
DEFAULT=/dev/null LOGABSTRACT=n /dev/null < /dev/null

 1:16pm [~/Mail] 604[0]> cat tmplog
This is one really long line for the log file to test your assertion that line
length is somehow limited. Whyat is the basis for
that belief? I do not find line length in these log files to be a problem.

Btw, I suppose there is nothing to prevent you from setting:

  LOGFILE=/etc/syslog

or whatever/wherever it is.

Dallman