Re: Can *^From.*(foo(_at_)bar) be confused?

2009-02-28 08:20:57
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 07:19:18AM +0000, Antony McLellan wrote:

I've been using procmail for a couple of years and it has been
brilliant. However, just recently it has been behaving oddly.

Essentially, I have added a simple filter of the form:

:0
*^From.*(foo(_at_)bar)
$DEFAULT.bar.foo/

I was expecting it match any email with "foo(_at_)bar" in the From: line.

Well, your condition matches on either the From_ or the From: line.
That is your problem.

Try

   * ^From:(_dot_)*foo(_at_)bar

You don't need the parens, though they have not created a problem.

One further issue here is that the condition will also match on
"flimflamfoo(_at_)bar," for example.  In this particular case it
seems rather unlikely for you to fool yourself without further
restrictions on the match, but as a matter of form you might think
about using something like:

  * ^From:(.*\<)?foo(_at_)bar

That will match on foo(_at_)bar only when it is at the start of
a string of alphanumerics -- more or less a new word.

Dallman