Backing up mail without root perms

2009-03-31 14:10:48
I have the following at the start of my virtual users procmailrc to backup all email coming to all virtual users before anything else can happen to it. The trouble is, the mail is written out owned by root.

     :0 fw
     | /usr/local/bin/spamc

     :0c
     * ^X-Spam-Status:(.*\<)?Yes
     /usr/local/virtual/backup/.SPAM/

     :0Ec
     /usr/local/virtual/backup/

     :0Ec
     /backup/imap.backup/
}

# Other stuff here including checks for user's own .procmailrc files
# and such.

because this block is at the top of the procmailrc and is designed to catch mail before anything else is done with it, I can't very well DROPPRIVS here, so how can I do this?

The only thing I can think of is to do soemthing like this:

:0c
{
  # everything I need to do as root
  # goes in this block
}

and THEN put the block I have up-top with a DROPPRIVS in it. But that seems backward to me.

--
Incredible! One of the worst performances of my career and they
        never doubted it for a second.