Re: How to produce a temporary error for the MTA?

2009-05-29 20:48:04
At 22:54 2009-05-29 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

I have to vacum a database of 17 GByte which take arround 30-60 minutes.
In this time I have to delay the processing for  messages.  The  accound
receive per day arround 170.000 messages and I have more then  8 million
database operations a day.

It's sounding like you need to have a chat with whomever and tell them there's need for more hardware. No sense in suspending email operations because the server can't keep up with db operations.

I suspect you'd be better off setting up a backup MX host and then suspending the internet-facing SMTP interface (local queue processing should still operate) during your db operations. Then, when the db lock is complete, restore the SMTP (say, via firewall rule) and tickle the backup MX to process its queue (fetchmail has the capability to issue the ESMTP commands to do this). The reason is that your local host - which appears to be swamped by the operations you're performing on it already - STILL must do some processing to defer the messages. If you offload that to a backup MX until you're ready to handle the load, then the burdened host has ZERO operating overhead for those messages until the point that it's actually capable of doing something with them.

170K messages sounds a lot like an account that needs to be fixed. If you're using email for a notification system for account transactions, you might consider a redesign of the front end that generates the messages - perhaps it can send batched info (a URL link to a query on the db?), rather than one per. Let's face it - NOBODY is actually reading all those messages.