Re: Procmail filter does not send the spam email to correct folder

2009-09-29 16:05:26
At 14:42 2009-09-29 -0500, junk(_at_)lexoncom(_dot_)com wrote:
sorry i meant spam not smap,
procmail is called by LDA?

Local Delivery Agent. Your MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) can/should be configured to invoke procmail for all local deliveries. However, if it isn't, procmail can be invoked via a ~/.forward file by individual users. It will act slightly differently if invoked via .forward

my problem is still with understanding which users calls procmail, and
under which user procmail is running the rule?
Is is root or mail or other?

If invoked as the LDA, procmail should initially be running with elevated privledges, but those are shed by the time it is running a users ~/.procmailrc

below are the permissions, so both root and mail have access,
if the procmail uses user account to write this is why it fails i guess

Is the procmail recipe in the user home directory, or is it a global procmailrc? If a global (/etc/procmailrc), is there a DROPPRIVS=YES line somewhere BEFORE the attempt to make this delivery?

Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
        It may be writable by your primary group
Your system mailbox:    /var/mail/root

FTR, if you're having issues with delivery for user 'junk', it'd be wise to run your diagnostics as that user, not as a different user.

Also, as a rule, it's a good idea to have root mail processed under a different account - you're less likely to do something terribly insecure if you need't log in as root to read email.

[kersnip - original post, which was already sent to the list]