Re: Auto-forwarding recipe problem

2010-09-06 18:16:51
At 22:31 2010-09-05, Greg Trounson wrote:
So procmail is seeing the line:

From
bounce-debian-user=user1=division(_dot_)my(_dot_)domain(_dot_)com(_at_)lists(_dot_)debian(_dot_)org

, which doesn't actually appear anywhere in the message file itself,

Why do you say that?  This is the message _envelope_, and it's
precisely what Rich advised you would trip up the regexp you were
using (which lacked a colon which would differentiate the "From "
from "From: ", the change for which of course had previously already
been pointed out to you by Michelle, in the first followup to your
inquiry -- which you said you had implemented.

I implemented that change and it worked.  I didn't, however, at that stage
understand why it worked, so reverted the changes and enabled verbose
debugging to see why my recipe had been producing false positives.  Now
that I know it was the envelope, I understand why a colon is necessary.

and is enough to match
"^FROM(_dot_)*[\(_dot_)(_at_)]my\(_dot_)domain\(_dot_)com".  The fact this
didn't show up in the message header

It is most definatley part of the message as passed to procmail.  How
are you saving the messages?  Are you perhaps referring to the
FORWARDED messages only (which by all rights should have a From_ set
to the intermediate address, not the original one)?  Perhaps you're
viewing the messages in a MUA which omits this information?

After going through procmail the messages are dropped into a Maildir, and
that aforementioned line is not present.  One such message (the one that
was logged in my prior post) is attached.  As I understand it, envelopes
are supposed to be removed when the message reaches its final destination.

thanks for your help,
Greg

--- Begin Message ---
(message body here)