Re: create nested maildirs as needed before creating a lock file?

2010-12-21 08:27:28

On 20-Dec-2010, at 10:55, Harald Dunkel wrote:

On 12/16/10 23:05, LuKreme wrote:

If you are using IMAP, you should be using Maildir folders.

I do. Server is Dovecot.

These do not require lock files and the folders are created properly by the
IMAP server when you write to a .folder/

I didn't know that lockfiles are obsolete for Maildirs.
But AFAIK their are not forbidden, either. Creating the
Maildirs early would improve stability.

No it wouldn't because the IMAP server creates the maildirs. In fact, there is
even a makemaildir command (at least in courier)

Nested subdirectories (e.g. vger.kernel.org/a/b/c/linux-kernel
as in the example) are not created at all. I would guess this
could be easy to extend?

That's not how maildirs work. Nested maildirs are created at a.b.c.linux-kernel
and then displayed in the client as a hierarchy. There are good reasons for
this.

--
'Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people
what they need to get.'