Re: MIME headers in Procmail

2011-07-07 23:04:02
Then: sounds like you're proposing that procmail should be fully
MIME+Unicode capable. Sounds great in principle, but MIME and Unicode are so
tricky, doing them in open-coded C sounds like something not to redo, better
to go for a higher-level language. And, procmailrc seems to me like an
assembler-level language for describing its filtering tasks.

Basically, what I want is something to recognize MIME cruft in mail
headers and convert it to unencoded UTF-8.  Decoding the MIME headers
to get the bits of the characters is trivial, and the iconv library to
convert among character sets has been part of POSIX for ten years so
it's on any platform where procmail is likely to run.  I wouldn't
think it'd be a whole lot of programming.  The regex code might
involve some more work, particularly if you wanted it to do the
semantically right thing and have . match a UTF-8 character regardless
of whether its representation is 1, 2, or 3 bytes, but this still
doesn't strike me as a huge task.

The conclusion I come to is that there's probably something already out
there, but it's probably not written in C, and no where near drop-in
compatible with procmail. ...

I sincerely hope you prove me wrong.

You're welcome.

R's,