Re: Why is procmail not filtering my incoming mail

2017-01-11 02:56:32
shanew(_at_)shanew(_dot_)net writes:

I'm sorry to have been so tardy responding but made a change in my
setup that took a while to get working.  Basicly I scrapped fetchmail
and installed `getmail' .. using getmail to call procmail which seemed
to work just fine.

I'll have to run the new setup a while to see if there are problems I
haven't noticed .

I am or was a long time `fetchamil' user... since sometime in mid 90s
so was not eager to scrap it

However, it kind of makes the thread a moot point.  Sorry I've wasted several
reponders time.

It's not really wasted .. at least not for me.  I'm getting a better
understanding just reading the reponents comments.

The fact that you're not seeing anything in the procmail log makes me
think procmail isn't getting called correctly.

I thought so too.  I did a fair bit of googling without a lot of
success. Once I finally got sendmail to work. Send was working ok.
Retrieval would stall and timeout at the point where fetchmail handed
off the incoming messages to local sendmail (submit.cf I guess)

I've since went a whole different route.  I scrapped fetchmail
entirely, something I've been using for a lot of years.
Installed `getmail' studied up a bit on that syntax. And finally got
getmail to call procmail with incoming mail.

In summary:
So now I have sendmail working, scrapped fetchmail, getmail working
and procmail working.  So I'm good to go.

However I would like to understand why I had the problems.
It will have to be another time when/if I go back to fetchmail or have
renewed problems with sendmail.

Could you paste the output of:
grep -A1 -B1 -i procmail /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
(or whatever the path to your main sendmail cf file if it's not standard)

First:
I am running the real sendmail on Debian. Here are the pkgs and versions
root # aptitude search -F '%p %v' '?installed'|sed 's/                //'|grep
sendmail
  libmail-sendmail-perl                             0.79.16-1
  sendmail                                          8.14.4-8+deb8u
  sendmail-base                                     8.14.4-8+deb8u
  sendmail-bin                                      8.14.4-8+deb8u
  sendmail-cf                                       8.14.4-8+deb8u
  sendmail-doc                                      8.14.4-8+deb8u

  fetchmail                                         6.3.26-1+b1
  procmail                                          3.22-24
and now:
  getmail4                                          4.46.0-1+deb8

The output you requested:
root #  grep -A1 -B1 -i procmail /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Is kind of pointless now, since I've removed the procail entries
sendmail.mc
I started to include this but I've removed the procmail from my latest
config and did not keep a copy of the *.mc files that were failing to
call procmail.