Re: Why not just use S/MIME or GPG signatures?

2003-10-12 08:49:00
In <IKEBLNJHKPJILCNKNFAEKEAPCAAA(_dot_)spf(_at_)nedharvey(_dot_)com> "Edward
Ned Harvey" <spf(_at_)nedharvey(_dot_)com> writes:

                              Both of these filter outbound port 25, and I
personally (and all of cablemodem boston) cannot use spf unless I use my
return address @rcn.com [...]

*IF* RCN allows you to use your own domain while using them as a smart
host, then you can use SPF by specifying their outbound mail servers
as being authorized to use your domain.  Granted, this would let
others on RCN to forge your domain name and, unless RCN helps you out
by supporting SPF, find all the IP addresses is going to be a little
bit of a pain, but it is still doable.

The solution must meet these requirements:
1- People are still permitted to use their local, slutty, isp-provided smtp
servers.

See above

OR
2- The protocol doesn't run on port 25 exclusively.

If you can find a smart host that allows you to connect via some other
port than 25, this would also work.

-wayne