Re: Why not just use S/MIME or GPG signatures?

2003-10-23 03:02:57
Dustin Trammell wrote:
If you currently use DSL and/or Cablemodem you may notice soon that many
places won't accept mail directly from you anyway.

Believe me, I *have* noticed, and it's become a major pain in the ass.

I still refuse to concede defeat and relay everything through my ISP's slow, overloaded (by spam/worms) and unreliable (because of spam/worms) outbound mail server. So whenever I get one of those "fuck you dialup scum!" rejection messages from some fascist-run destination, I add it manually to an exception list in my MTA to relay it through my server at work, the rough equivalent of a co-lo server on a non-ghetto IP address block. The rest will continue to go out by direct SMTP as long as possible. It's the best I can do.

I've also helped some of my main correspondents set up their own incoming mail servers listening on nonstandard TCP ports so they can escape their ISPs lousy inbound mail servers without being discovered by their ISPs doing port scans for servers. IPv6 6to4 tunnels come in very handy here.

I'm all in favor of fighting spam, but there are both right and wrong ways to do it. The right ways maintain the end-to-end principle; the wrong ways will destroy it, and the utility of the Internet with it.

Phil

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt